Sunday, 24 April 2016

Where have I been? | Blog Design Tips For Beginners


Normally, you'll notice a new post pop up from me about once a week - but recently I took a short break from blogging. This is because a couple of things went wrong with the template and design. I took a months break so I could get it sorted. Even though it was all a bit tricky, I'm (sort of!) glad it happened because I learnt a lot in the process. I'm typing everything up here to help in future or to give some of you a bit of a head start if you go through a similar thing as me.
  • Back up your old template 
 It sounds like a simple one, but this was my main mistake! Saving your current template before you download a new one is really important because, if anything goes wrong, you can just switch it back to how it was. Also - when you download a template it automatically goes straight onto your blog, before you can see how it looks. If you're on Blogger, all you need to do to save your current template is click template --> back up/restore --> download full template.

  • To edit most downloaded templates, you need to use HTML  
When I first downloaded a template, I panicked because I couldn't edit anything (the words on the menu, links...). I then found out that all of this could be changed but via HTML coding. To be honest, I've always avoided HTML because it looks so scary - but, once you actually go onto it and have a practice, it's not as terrifying as it looks. To access your HTML on Blogger, all you need to do is click template --> edit HTML. You'll know when you're there because you should get something that looks a bit like the image at the top.

Scary, right? Wrong! For me, the most important thing that I wanted to get sorted was the headings in the menu beneath the title. They all had titles that didn't really apply to my blog and links that didn't work. To change this, on Blogger, you need to find the Top Menu in the HTML. Using 'search' in HTML makes it so much simpler. Click Ctrl and F to search. Search for '<!-- Top Menu -->'. The text in black is the text that will show on the menu bar. You can edit this. You can also replace the links with your own. There may be links there that you can edit or a #. It just takes a bit of practice and experimenting. You can do the same for social links. Usually, you'll find directions on Google for different HTML codes or you'll get some information with the download.

  • Create Another Blog
If you're a bit unsure, you can do what I did and open a second blog. You can download templates onto there, mess about with the HTML, see what works and what doesn't. Once you're sure that everything looks exactly how you like it, download the template to your proper blog and copy and paste the HTML over. I liked doing it this way because it meant that I could spend as much time as I needed to work on it, without having to worry about it going wrong or looking odd on my blog in the process. You can easily get all your posts and comments to appear on your 'practice' blog by using the same ideaas earlier. Save your current blog template (see tip one) and then, on the new blog, go to template --> back up/restore --> browse.

Do you have any tips for your blog design?

Related Articles

28 comments :

  1. Lovely, lovely post. It's so nice to see you back!

    pinksmartiesblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you back, good tips!xxx

    Lauren | www.laurenjoannee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It''s lovely to see you back! And WOW your blog looks incredible xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!! Going to go & have a read of your blog now xx

      Delete
  4. This is such a fantastic post idea! I'm so happy that you've turned a negative into a positive! Sorry I won't be active for a while- I really just need a mental cleanse!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Hannah!! That's okay, I completely get that, hope it helps xx

      Delete
  5. Great post, i missed reading your blogs! X
    http://thepastelstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I missed writing them!xx

      Delete
  6. Hmmm my other comment didn't show up, but I loved this so much! Your picture of all the polaroids and the selfie both look so lovely! I updated my blog maybe 4 or so months ago and now I'm really pleased with it. I missed your posts! xxx
    www.rosieauthorwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, Rosie! I love your blog design - I like the Peter Pan characters xx

      Delete
  7. Yaaaaaaaaaay I'm so glad you managed to fix it and you're back! I studied HTML last year in Uni, and now I'm glad I did because I'm not that scared of using it on my blog hahaha I'm so excited to see what you have in store!

    onmywayacqua.blogspot.com | Acqua xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! Oh wow, you'll be an expert then xx

      Delete
  8. Glad you are back! I always hate fiddling with my HTML because I don't want to ruin my blog! xx
    www.blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! I know, HTMl can be so scary, can't it?xx

      Delete
  9. Your blog is gorgeous! I love your header :) Blog templates can get so confusing sometimes and at first, HTML is SO scary! It must be all worth it now though - I'm so happy you're back to blogging!

    Alice xo
    www.girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, Alice!! Yes, very scary haha, but once you get started it gets easier :) thank you - I'm really happy to be back as well!xx

      Delete
  10. These tips are great! We learned HTML at school recently and it really helped me a lot with designing my blog :):) I really like your new blog look, especially the header image :)
    ~Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! Making the header was really fun xx

      Delete
  11. That awkward moment you lose your entire template, I know how it feels. Very relevant tips I sorta glad I'm not the only one who had to suffer through HTML.
    XX

    h-r-j.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I'm glad not to be the only one as well! thanks so much, Hannah!xx

      Delete
  12. i just follow your blog. great post and blog <3
    continue the great work.
    www.beautyisallaround6.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The HTML does look scary! I'm finding it hard to fix my pages, I'd like them to be at the very top (like yours), but I can't seem to know how. Also, I can't seem to add bigger gaps between them, it's all a tad annoying haha. Do you have any tips for this?

    Great post by the way!

    http://fleurdelailis.blogspot.co.uk

    Laila xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for commenting!

      On my current blog design, the pages came ready built in with the downloaded template - so it might be easiest to download a template that has pages already? You will have to use HTML to edit them though, like in tip two, but it's not as scary as it looks once you get started!

      How did you put your pages in? I'm not really sure what else you could try - on my old design, I put the pages along the top in Layout & they appeared spaced out.. Maybe that's how they appear on your template?

      Hope this helps xx

      Delete
  14. Missed your blog posts and I'm loving the new design <3

    Eve | www.evenicholls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - I'd love to hear your opinions. :) x

Powered by Blogger.